- Optics. the property of a lens that is stigmatic.
- Pathology. a condition in which stigmata are present.
Origin of stigmatism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- physics the state or condition of being anastigmatic
- pathol the condition resulting from or characterized by stigmata
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for stigmatism
1660s, "a branding," from Greek stigmatizein, from stigmat- (see stigma). Meaning "condition of being affected with stigmata" is from 1900.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The condition of having stigmas.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.