- Optics. the property of a lens that is stigmatic.
- Pathology. a condition in which stigmata are present.
Origin of stigmatism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- physics the state or condition of being anastigmatic
- pathol the condition resulting from or characterized by stigmata
Word Origin and History for stigmatism
1660s, "a branding," from Greek stigmatizein, from stigmat- (see stigma). Meaning "condition of being affected with stigmata" is from 1900.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The condition of having stigmas.