- a showing of storm signals.
- Meteorology. a National Weather Service warning of winds having speeds of 48 knots (55 mph, 25 m/sec) or greater.Compare hurricane warning, warning(def 3).
- any sign of approaching trouble: The troops on the border were a storm warning, and we prepared for war. His angry look was a storm warning.
Origin of storm warning
First recorded in 1865–70
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a pattern of lights, flags, etc, displayed at certain ports as a warning to shipping of an approaching storm
- an announcement on radio or television of an approaching storm
- any warning of approaching danger or trouble