- a garment made of strong material and designed to bind the arms, as of a violently disoriented person.
- anything that severely confines, constricts, or hinders: Conventional attitudes can be a straitjacket, preventing original thinking.
- to put in or as in a straitjacket: Her ambition was straitjacketed by her family.
Origin of straitjacket
Examples from the Web for straightjacket
Historical Examples of straightjacket
I always scheduled her last, so that I could exceed the 45 minutes straightjacket of the classic therapy session.The Capgras Shift
We must try to prevent further violence and the doctor has sent to the hospital for a straightjacket.
She must put the straightjacket on the patient when I have talked to him and given the order!
- a less common spelling of straitjacket
- Also called: straightjacket a jacket made of strong canvas material with long sleeves for binding the arms of violent prisoners or mentally ill patients
- a severe restriction or limitation
- (tr) to confine in or as if in a straitjacket
- A long-sleeved jacketlike garment used to bind the arms tightly against the body as a means of restraining a violent person.