- Geology. occurring as a bed or beds; arranged in strata.
- Anatomy. noting arrangement in thin layers, as in bone.
- Meteorology. (of a cloud) having predominantly horizontal development.
Origin of stratiform
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for stratiform
Historical Examples of stratiform
The stratiform deposits are subdivided into two great classes; the primary and the secondary.
Stratiform: Liquefaction extending to the walls of the tube and downward horizontally (Fig. 151, l).The Elements of Bacteriological Technique
John William Henry Eyre
- (of rocks) occurring as or arranged in strata
- meteorol resembling a stratus cloud
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012