- the section of a city associated with a given profession or trade, especially when concerned with business or finance, as Wall Street.
- the principal theater and entertainment district of any of a number of U.S. cities.
Words nearby street
Idioms for street
- without a home: You'll be out on the street if the rent isn't paid.
- without a job or occupation; idle.
- out of prison or police custody; at liberty.
Origin of street
SYNONYMS FOR street
OTHER WORDS FROM streetstreet·less, adjectivestreet·like, adjectivein·ter·street, adjective
Examples from the Web for street
A street sweeper was caught in the crossfire as a gunman fired at the officer, fatally wounding her in the back.
When it became too crowded, they moved her into an open casket on the street.New York’s Most Tragic Ghost Loves Minimalist Swedish Fashion|Nina Strochlic|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The gunman then burst from the restaurant and fled down the street with the other man.
The big slug happened to hit the suspect in the street, passing through his arm and then striking Police Officer Andrew Dossi.
Detectives with a fugitive task force caught up with Polanco and a friend on a Bronx street in the early afternoon.
As they entered the street it seemed as if they could hardly pass through.Brenda, Her School and Her Club|Helen Leah Reed
While looking out of that top-floor window one day I noticed a cat on a window-ledge of the house across the street.Outwitting the Hun|Pat O'Brien
The young man was taken through the house and conducted along the street as far as the next ingress to the walls.Rich Relatives|Compton Mackenzie
Across the street he saw a window with a display of camping equipment, portable stoves, boots, rifles.It Could Be Anything|John Keith Laumer
For his passage the street had been cleared, the guards deployed, the houses decked.
British Dictionary definitions for street
- (capital when part of a name) a public road that is usually lined with buildings, esp in a townOxford Street
- (as modifier)a street directory
- earning a living as a prostitute
Word Origin for street
Idioms and Phrases with street
see back street; easy street; man in the street; on the street; side street; work both sides of the street.