- the attitude of a bed or stratum or of beds or strata of sedimentary rocks, as indicated by the dip and strike.
- the coarser composition of a rock, as contrasted with its texture.
- the system or complex of beliefs held by members of a social group.
- the system of relations between the constituent groups of a society.
- the relationship between or the interrelated arrangement of the social institutions of a society or culture, as of mores, marriage customs, or family.
- the pattern of relationships, as of status or friendship, existing among the members of a group or society.
verb (used with object), struc·tured, struc·tur·ing.
Words nearby structure
Origin of structure
OTHER WORDS FROM structurede·struc·ture, verb (used with object), de·struc·tured, de·struc·tur·ing.in·ter·struc·ture, nounnon·struc·ture, nounpre·struc·ture, verb (used with object), pre·struc·tured, pre·struc·tur·ing.
synonym study for structure
Examples from the Web for structures
They joined 11 structures that will have to be completely rebuilt—if at all—as Ferguson gets back on its feet.The Baptism of Michael Brown Sr. and Ferguson’s Baptism by Fire|Justin Glawe|November 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Like trees, these structures provide shelter and serve as attractive pieces of natural sculpture.
In cases where something goes awry in this process, other structures in the brain are affected, and ASDs may result.
The temple complex is a series of courtyards, some lined with walls and stairs leading to other structures.Fighting Back With Faith: Inside the Yezidis’ Iraqi Temple|Michael Luongo|August 21, 2014|DAILY BEAST
There was a record of a new gas line being installed in one of the structures last year.My Building Exploded. I Survived: Harlem Miracle Man Tells His Story|Michael Daly|March 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Picture-frames also belong in this class of structures, the glass taking the place of the panel.Handwork in Wood|William Noyes
There seemed to be some goddess entwined with sea-weed standing over the ocean of structures.The Hive|Will Levington Comfort
It is also of the utmost importance to consider the elastic behavior of structures, whether of steel or concrete.Some Mooted Questions in Reinforced Concrete Design|Edward Godfrey
Jake began, at once, to move these structures, and more too.Around Old Bethany|Robert Lee Berry
The questions to be asked and answered are not merely, What are the structures in this animal?Thomas Henry Huxley; A Sketch Of His Life And Work|P. Chalmers Mitchell