- Biology. near the margin.
- below the margin.
- not worth cultivating, as land; less than satisfactory; unproductive.
Origin of submarginal
Examples from the Web for submarginal
Historical Examples of submarginal
The submarginal and subapical spots are silvered, especially the latter.
Of these, the spots of the median and submarginal bands are most conspicuous.
The submarginal band is buff, narrow, and dusted with more or less ferruginous.
In some specimens a few silver scales are found on the submarginal spots.
The submarginal band is pale yellow, narrow, but distinct and always present.
- below the minimum requirements
- situated close to the margin of an organ or part
- (of land) infertile and unprofitable for cultivation