HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
OTHER WORDS FROM suitingun·suit·ing, adjective
Words nearby suiting
Definition for suiting (2 of 2)
- one of the four sets or classes (spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs) into which a common deck of playing cards is divided.
- the aggregate of cards belonging to one of these sets held in a player's hand at one time: Spades were his long suit.
- one of various sets or classes into which less common decks of cards are divided, as lances, hammers, etc., found in certain decks formerly used or used in fortune telling.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
Origin of suit
OTHER WORDS FROM suit
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH suitsuit suite
Example sentences from the Web for suiting
We tried to make his suiting more Irish, to keep him a step away from the aristocracy.
It was a fitting backdrop for the Paris debut of his perfectly calculated, spare gray suiting.Designer Thom Browne Honored at White House With 2012 Cooper-Hewitt Award Winners|Robin Givhan|July 13, 2012|DAILY BEAST
At length, when suiting his convenience, the warden went to the dying man's cell.The Prison Chaplaincy, And Its Experiences|Hosea Quinby
He tells me that, if the place keeps on suiting him as it has so far, he intends making it his permanent home.Thankful's Inheritance|Joseph C. Lincoln
Suiting the action to the word, he lowered himself over the ledge, and slid down the bank to the beach.The Half-Back|Ralph Henry Barbour
And, suiting the action to the word, he set manfully to work.Frank, the Young Naturalist|Harry Castlemon
Suiting his action to his words the mate literally forced the lad to obey.Ralph Granger's Fortunes|William Perry Brown
British Dictionary definitions for suiting (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for suiting (2 of 2)
- to play a card of the same suit as the card played immediately before it
- to act in the same way as someone else
Derived forms of suitsuitlike, adjective
Word Origin for suit
Idioms and Phrases with suiting
In addition to the idioms beginning with suit
- suit down to the ground
- suit oneself
- suit up
- birthday suit
- empty suit
- follow suit
- long suit
- strong point (suit)