- the sovereign of an Islamic country.
- (often initial capital letter) any of the former sovereigns of Turkey.
- any absolute ruler or despot.
Origin of sultan
Examples from the Web for sultanic
Historical Examples of sultanic
I am seeking for sultanic right, not my right; I am seeking for—foreign right.
Can a sultanic court declare another right than that which the sultan has ordained to be right?
- the sovereign of a Muslim country, esp of the former Ottoman Empire
- an arbitrary ruler; despot
- a small domestic fowl with a white crest and heavily feathered legs and feet: originated in Turkey
Word Origin for sultan
Word Origin and History for sultanic
1550s, from Middle French sultan "ruler of Turkey" (16c.), from Arabic sultan "ruler, king, queen, power, dominion," from Aramaic shultana "power," from shelet "have power." His wife, mother, daughter, concubine, or sister is a sultana.