- being more than is sufficient or required; excessive.
- unnecessary or needless.
- Obsolete. possessing or spending more than enough or necessary; extravagant.
Origin of superfluous
Synonyms for superfluousSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for superfluousnessbalance, by-product, embarrassment, enough, exorbitance, extravagance, extravagancy, exuberance, fat, glut, inundation, lavishness, leavings, leftover, overabundance, overflow, overload, overmuch, overrun, oversupply
Examples from the Web for superfluousness
Historical Examples of superfluousness
These Associations demonstrate the superfluousness of trade in a differently organized society.Woman under socialism
But she enjoyed the consciousness of knowing more than he did; she even forgave him his superfluousness.
What superfluousness, indeed, could there be in intelligence, unless its conceptions resemble imperfect productions?Plotinos: Complete Works, v. 3
Sister Maria Joseph, recognising with trembling her superfluousness, withdrew.
- exceeding what is sufficient or required
- not necessary or relevant; uncalled-for
- obsolete extravagant in expenditure or oversupplied with possessions