- at an unusually high price.
- in short supply; in demand: Housing in that area is at a premium.
Origin of premium
Synonyms for premium
- an offer of something free or at a specially reduced price as an inducement to buy a commodity or service
- (as modifier)a premium offer
- in great demand or of high value, usually because of scarcity
- above par
Word Origin for premium
c.1600, "reward given for a specific act," from Latin praemium "reward, profit derived from booty," from prae- "before" (see pre-) + emere "to buy," originally "to take" (see exempt (adj.)). Insurance sense is 1660s, from Italian premio. Adjectival sense of "superior in quality" is first attested 1925, originally in reference to butter.
see at a premium; put a premium on.