- excess; an excessive amount: a surfeit of speechmaking.
- excess or overindulgence in eating or drinking.
- an uncomfortably full or crapulous feeling due to excessive eating or drinking.
- general disgust caused by excess or satiety.
- to bring to a state of surfeit by excess of food or drink.
- to supply with anything to excess or satiety; satiate.
- to eat or drink to excess.
- to suffer from the effects of overindulgence in eating or drinking.
- to indulge to excess in anything.
Origin of surfeit
Synonyms for surfeitSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for surfeit
Related Words for surfeitprofusion, glut, plethora, saturation, surplus, overabundance, plenitude, superabundance, overmuch, overindulgence, satisfaction, superfluity, repletion, satiety, overflow, remainder, bellyful, overplus, overkill, satisfy
Examples from the Web for surfeit
Contemporary Examples of surfeit
There are no wrenching epiphanies, just mild embarrassments and a surfeit of confusion.Paul Auster, Bernhard Schlink, and More of This Week’s Hot Reads: Aug. 13, 2012
August 12, 2012
The culture wars have presented us with a surfeit of either/ors.The Culture Wars' Next Frontier
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
November 17, 2010
Historical Examples of surfeit
We may have enough of justice in our character as rebels to give us a surfeit of it.Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
Her life had been unfortunate, and of horrors she had touched a surfeit.The Life of Cesare Borgia
Ay, and in the enjoyment of external beauty a sort of surfeit is engendered.The Symposium
Adventure is all very well, but I have discovered that one can get a surfeit of it.The Pirate of Panama
William MacLeod Raine
In the state it is all hunger at one end, and all surfeit at the other.Crotchet Castle
Thomas Love Peacock
- (usually foll by of) an excessive or immoderate amount
- overindulgence, esp in eating or drinking
- disgust, nausea, etc, caused by such overindulgence
- (tr) to supply or feed excessively; satiate
- (intr) archaic to eat, drink, or be supplied to excess
- (intr) obsolete to feel uncomfortable as a consequence of overindulgence
Word Origin for surfeit
late 14c., from surfeit (n.). Related: Surfeited; surfeiting.