- a widespread change in atmospheric pressure that is in addition to cyclonic and normal diurnal changes.
- storm surge.
- a sudden rush or burst of current or voltage.
- a violent oscillatory disturbance.
- an uneven flow and strong momentum given to a fluid, as water in a tank, resulting in a rapid, temporary rise in pressure.
- pulsating unevenness of motion in an engine or gas turbine.
verb (used without object), surged, surg·ing.
- to increase suddenly, as current or voltage.
- to oscillate violently.
- to slack off or loosen a rope or cable around a capstan or windlass.
- to slip back, as a rope.
verb (used with object), surged, surg·ing.
CAN YOU FEEL THE WEAL WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ?
Origin of surge
OTHER WORDS FROM surgeun·surg·ing, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH surgeserge surge
Words nearby surge
Example sentences from the Web for surge
The U.S. launched campaigns in the restive Iraqi city of Fallujah and a surge campaign in Baghdad.Pentagon Doesn’t Know How Many People It’s Killed in the ISIS War|Nancy A. Youssef|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
“People are generally diplomatic,” says Steinbrick of regulars dealing with the surge of new faces.
Uber responded to the PR nightmare by reversing the surge, refunding those affected, and doling out free rides.
As more states move to pass legalization legislation, their role in the narrative will likely surge.
Ergo, DAPA will cause another surge—and that future surge will likewise prove burdensome to Texas.The New Texas Governor’s Cynical Immigration Threat|Ruben Navarrette Jr.|December 1, 2014|DAILY BEAST
One glance into those coldly watchful eyes was sufficient to subdue any surge of compassion.Men in War|Andreas Latzko
Whence came all the faiths but from that inexplicable feeling of the heart, that surge and swell arising we know not whence?The Hearts of Men|H. Fielding
At this a kind of madness began to surge up in Jan Laurvik's overtaxed brain.The Haunters of the Silences|Charles G. D. Roberts
The Lhari ships hit 12 gravities in the first surge of acceleration.The Colors of Space|Marion Zimmer Bradley
This, he thought with a surge of hope, was going to work out after all.The Best Made Plans|Everett B. Cole