- of a large amount or high degree; exceeding, excelling, or extraordinary: structures of surpassing magnificence.
- in a surpassing manner; extraordinarily.
Origin of surpassing
- to go beyond in amount, extent, or degree; be greater than; exceed.
- to go beyond in excellence or achievement; be superior to; excel: He surpassed his brother in sports.
- to be beyond the range or capacity of; transcend: misery that surpasses description.
Origin of surpass
Synonyms for surpassSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for surpassingoutweigh, exceed, beat, outperform, top, eclipse, rank, outstrip, pass, outpace, transcend, better, trump, outshine, cap, excel, overstep, overshadow, outdistance, outmatch
Examples from the Web for surpassing
Contemporary Examples of surpassing
Somehow Turner nailed that one second of surpassing natural force.Why Can’t Movies Capture Genius?
December 14, 2014
By 2013, that figure rose to $61 million, surpassing Jameson Irish whiskey and Patron tequila.Europeans Recall Fireball Whiskey Over a Sweetener Also Used in Antifreeze
October 28, 2014
More than that, it was ultimate proof of a surpassing American technical achievement, the creation of the Jet Age.The Sexy Dream of the 747
October 26, 2014
Bernard-Henri Lévy on Mali, Libya, and how the French are surpassing the U.S. as the principal guardians of human rights.Bernard-Henri Lévy On France Taking the Lead In Mali
February 5, 2013
It is a piece of surpassing minimalism that has profound resonance.Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato’s Favorite World of Wonder Clips (VIDEO)
Fenton Bailey, Randy Barbato
February 5, 2013
Historical Examples of surpassing
They were not altogether sure yet that the Spaniards were not gods, or at the least Surpassing Beings.The Trail Book
There was another, surpassing them all, which attended me many days.Green Mansions
W. H. Hudson
I am curious to know,' said Mr Chester, with surpassing affability.Barnaby Rudge
He described her as of surpassing beauty, wit, and accomplishment.Masterpieces of Mystery
But in our faces she found a consternation far surpassing hers.
- exceptional; extraordinary
- obsolete, or poetic (intensifier)surpassing fair
- to be greater than in degree, extent, etc
- to be superior to in achievement or excellence
- to overstep the limit or range ofthe theory surpasses my comprehension