- either of a pair of lovers in relation to the other.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar term of address.
- a beloved person.
- Informal. a generous, friendly person.
- Informal. anything that arouses loyal affection: My old car was a real sweetheart.
Origin of sweetheart
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sweetheart
Back in 2005, Franklin had referred to sideline reporter Holly Rowe as “sweetheart.”ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Pricks
July 29, 2014
The chance of becoming a mother had died when she lost her sweetheart in the Great War.The Tragic, Heroic Women of World War I
June 29, 2014
Apparently, 'The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon' is the place to stake your claim as America's Sweetheart.Viral Video of the Day: Jennifer Lawrence's 'Box of Lies'
May 16, 2014
At Dryden, John finds a sweetheart, classmate Patricia McGory.The Stacks: The Searing Story of How Murder Stalked a Tiny New York Town
E. Jean Carroll
April 19, 2014
And there she was helped by the sweetheart deals Lazarenko allegedly sent her way.Yulia Tymoshenko: She's No Angel
February 23, 2014
A "bronch fighter" is not more jealous of his sweetheart than of his reputation as a rider.Chip, of the Flying U
B. M. Bower
He could not have her for a sweetheart, if she shared her love with other men.The Foolish Lovers
St. John G. Ervine
Some o' the men said she was his sweetheart, but he don't look like that kind.The Underdog
F. Hopkinson Smith
"Don't worry about me, sweetheart," he replied in a well controlled voice.The Monster Men
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Her sweetheart was named Gadern, and he was a young and strong hunter.Welsh Fairy Tales
William Elliott Griffis
- a person loved by another
- informal a lovable, generous, or obliging person
- a term of endearment for a beloved or lovable person
- of or relating to a garment with a sweetheart necklinesweetheart cardigan
Word Origin and History for sweetheart
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper