- a device connecting others in a network, enabling communication among them by interrogating each received data packet for its source and destination and then routing it to the appropriate device in the network.Compare hub (def. 7).
- Also called switch state·ment . (in a program or piece of code) a structure permitting a number of different actions as determined by the value of a particular expression.
- Also called com·mand-line switch . an argument sent to a program when it is run from the command line rather than via a graphical user interface, and which modifies the function of the command.
- to move or transfer (a train, car, etc.) from one set of tracks to another.
- to drop or add (cars) or to make up (a train).
Idioms about switch
Origin of switch
OTHER WORDS FROM switch
Words nearby switch
How to use switch in a sentence
Previously that miscreant switch had been identified in rice plants and was named “karma.”The Environmental Headache in Your Shampoo - Issue 90: Something Green|Anastasia Bendebury & Michael Shilo DeLay|September 16, 2020|Nautilus
There’s a hardware switch to turn off the microphones completely, but that defeats one of the key functions of the device.Amazon’s new fitness tracker listens to your voice to figure out your mood|Stan Horaczek|September 2, 2020|Popular-Science
You don’t just flip a switch from dry enough to burn to not dry enough to burn.What’s behind August 2020’s extreme weather? Climate change and bad luck|Carolyn Gramling|August 27, 2020|Science News
Cabana’s change in demographics exemplifies what could be a long-term switch from long-distance air travel to domestic road travel.
Their technique relies on a series of synthetic proteins that can be customized to create a variety of switches.
However, that switch to potatoes occurred around the 19th Century.
In a series of more than 20 tweets, Hatem admitted that he tried to get AQAP to switch allegiances from Zawahiri to Baghdadi.
We drive back to Asadabad in silence, where we switch cars for security reasons and begin the six hour drive back home.Heart of Darkness: Into Afghanistan’s Taliban Valley|Matt Trevithick, Daniel Seckman|November 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Michlin, who was looking for ideas for a new startup company, says he felt a lightbulb switch on over his head.
He said it would be wise to stop taking it, lest it turn on my “genetic light switch.”Birth Control Made My Hair Fall Out, and I’m Not the Only One|Molly Oswaks|October 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
He lifted his head, looked around him, and was just going to switch off the light, when he noticed the open book on his table.Bella Donna|Robert Hichens
Even as he spoke, Gray had found the switch, and the apartment of Kazmah became flooded with subdued light.Dope|Sax Rohmer
She had forgotten to tell her mother of that fact—the safety of the closed receiving switch.The Campfire Girls of Roselawn|Margaret Penrose
Delancy's hand shot out to the radio switch, cutting off the voice of the announcer.
A switch is furnished so that when desired the stops and expression levers may be cut off and left to be operated by hand.The Recent Revolution in Organ Building|George Laing Miller
British Dictionary definitions for switch
Derived forms of switchswitcher, nounswitchlike, adjective
Word Origin for switch
Other Idioms and Phrases with switch
In addition to the idioms beginning with switch
- switch off
- switch on
- asleep at the switch
- bait and switch