- Pathology, Psychiatry. a group of symptoms that together are characteristic of a specific disorder, disease, or the like.
- a group of related or coincident things, events, actions, etc.
- the pattern of symptoms that characterize or indicate a particular social condition.
- a predictable, characteristic pattern of behavior, action, etc., that tends to occur under certain circumstances: the retirement syndrome of endless golf and bridge games; the feast-or-famine syndrome of big business.
Origin of syndrome
Related Words for syndromemalady, problem, disorder, ailment, sickness, complaint, sign, complex, infirmity, affection, diagnostics
Examples from the Web for syndrome
Contemporary Examples of syndrome
We still have a long way to go, but it has improved dramatically since the post Vietnam syndrome when Vets were spit on.McCain’s 13 Favorite Soldiers
November 11, 2014
It goes back to that series of great expectations, the Jim Palmer syndrome.Will the Real Jim Palmer Please Stand Up
September 27, 2014
By the standards of Syndrome Z, her developmental progress is remarkable.Parents Sue for 'Wrongful Birth'
August 17, 2014
So much for the Stockholm syndrome the GOP House leadership insists represents political reality.Border Kids Crisis—Impotent Congress
July 10, 2014
Neurologist Oliver Sacks says the syndrome helps give the Team USA goalie ‘abnormal quickness.’Why Tourette’s May Be Tim Howard’s Secret Weapon on the Field
July 3, 2014
Historical Examples of syndrome
This is the classical "damned if you do and damned if you don't" syndrome.
We are in the classical "damned if we do and damned if we don't" syndrome.
"Which may very well be considered part of your syndrome," said Goil.
But always—always the synergism, syndrome, or whatever you want to call it, is the same.
This is the syndrome which the medical student is taught to carry away to guide him in his everyday practice.Scurvy Past and Present
Alfred Fabian Hess
- med any combination of signs and symptoms that are indicative of a particular disease or disorder
- a symptom, characteristic, or set of symptoms or characteristics indicating the existence of a condition, problem, etc
Word Origin for syndrome
- A group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, a psychological disorder, or another abnormal condition.
- An abnormal condition or disease that is identified by an established group of signs and symptoms.
A set of signs and symptoms that appear together and characterize a disease or medical condition. AIDS is an example of a syndrome.