- rhythmically contracting.
- of the nature of contraction.
- characterized by alternate contraction and dilation, as the action of the heart.
Origin of systaltic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for systaltic
Systaltic, sis-tal′tik, adj. alternately contracting and dilating, pulsatory.
- (esp of the action of the heart) of, relating to, or characterized by alternate contractions and dilations; pulsating
C17: from Late Latin systalticus, from Greek sustaltikos, from sustellein to contract, from syn- + stellein to place
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Alternately contracting and dilating, as the heart; pulsating.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.