- a piece added at the end; an end piece or appendage.
- Printing. a small decorative design at the end of a chapter or at the bottom of a page.
- (in a musical instrument of the viol family) a triangular piece of wood, usually of ebony, to which the lower ends of the strings are fastened.
- Also called tail beam. Building Trades. a relatively short beam or rafter inserted in a wall by tailing and supported by a header.
Origin of tailpiece
Related Words for tailpiecetail, rear, bottom, backside, back, butt, rudder, engraving, picture, photograph, etching, image, sketch, vignette, depiction, decoration, snapshot, painting, cartoon, photo
Examples from the Web for tailpiece
Historical Examples of tailpiece
Tailpiece to the account of the Whitethroat, p. 261—a gibbet in the distance.Hanging in Chains
For a tailpiece to this chapter one may vignette one of those little affairs.Kipps
H. G. Wells
The rotation and the music stopped as the tailpiece of the rocket fell open.
There was nothing else in the rocket, except for the motor built into the tailpiece.
This weapon is represented in the tailpiece to this chapter.
- an extension or appendage that lengthens or completes something
- printing a decorative design at the foot of a page or end of a chapter
- music a piece of wood to which the strings of a violin, etc, are attached at their lower end. It is suspended between the taut strings and the bottom of the violin by a piece of gut or metal
- Also called: tail beam architect a short beam or rafter that has one end embedded in a wall