verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
- to talk to in a manner that indicates that a response is not expected or wanted.
- to direct remarks meant for one person to another person present; speak indirectly to.
- to overwhelm by force of argument or by loud and persistent talking; subdue by talking.
- to speak disparagingly of; belittle.
- Also talk in. to give instructions to by radio for a ground-controlled landing, especially to a pilot who is unable to make a conventional landing because of snow, fog, etc.
- to talk until conversation is exhausted.
- to attempt to reach a settlement or understanding by discussion: We arrived at a compromise by talking out the problem.
- British Politics. to thwart the passage of (a bill, motion, etc.) by prolonging discussion until the session of Parliament adjourns.Compare filibuster(def 5).
- to weigh in conversation; consider; discuss.
- to cause (someone) to change an opinion; convince by talking: He became an expert at talking people over to his views.
- to promote interest in; discuss enthusiastically.
- to speak without hesitation; speak distinctly and openly: If you don't talk up now, you may not get another chance.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PUNCTUATION QUIZ
Idioms for talk
- to impede or prevent the passage of (a bill) through filibustering.
- to talk to incessantly or at great length.
Origin of talk
OTHER WORDS FROM talk
Words nearby talk
British Dictionary definitions for talk down to
Derived forms of talktalkable, adjectivetalkability, nountalker, noun
Word Origin for talk
Idioms and Phrases with talk down to (1 of 2)
Also, speak down to. Address someone with insulting condescension, patronize, as in Just because she's editor-in-chief doesn't give her the right to talk down to her staff, or Children hate teachers who speak down to them.
Idioms and Phrases with talk down to (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with talk
- talk around
- talk at
- talk back
- talk big
- talk dirty
- talk down
- talk down to
- talked out
- talk into
- talk of the town, the
- talk out
- talk out of
- talk over
- talk sense
- talk shop
- talk someone's arm off
- talk through one's hat
- talk to
- talk turkey
- talk up
- all talk
- dirty joke (talk dirty)
- double talk
- heart to heart (talk)
- look who's talking
- money talks
- now you're talking
- small talk
- straight talk
- sweet talk