verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
- to talk to in a manner that indicates that a response is not expected or wanted.
- to direct remarks meant for one person to another person present; speak indirectly to.
- to overwhelm by force of argument or by loud and persistent talking; subdue by talking.
- to speak disparagingly of; belittle.
- Also talk in. to give instructions to by radio for a ground-controlled landing, especially to a pilot who is unable to make a conventional landing because of snow, fog, etc.
- to talk until conversation is exhausted.
- to attempt to reach a settlement or understanding by discussion: We arrived at a compromise by talking out the problem.
- British Politics. to thwart the passage of (a bill, motion, etc.) by prolonging discussion until the session of Parliament adjourns.Compare filibuster (def. 5).
- to weigh in conversation; consider; discuss.
- to cause (someone) to change an opinion; convince by talking: He became an expert at talking people over to his views.
- to promote interest in; discuss enthusiastically.
- to speak without hesitation; speak distinctly and openly: If you don't talk up now, you may not get another chance.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE 12 TYPES OF VERB TENSES!
Idioms for talk
- to impede or prevent the passage of (a bill) through filibustering.
- to talk to incessantly or at great length.
Origin of talk
synonym study for talk
OTHER WORDS FROM talk
How to use talk in a sentence
As for Foundry’s partnerships, Silbert says the company has signed deals with crypto mining companies and manufacturers, and is in talks to do the same with energy firms and government agencies.
The city was initially reluctant after months of talks with Shapery.The Deal Before the 101 Ash St. Debacle Helps Explain How We Got Here|Lisa Halverstadt and Jesse Marx|August 24, 2020|Voice of San Diego
Deborah Tannen, a professor of linguistics at Georgetown University, says this type of small talk “is crucial because it keeps the gears of relationships going” and can establish common ground.Remote workers want to re-create those watercooler moments, virtually|Tanya Basu|August 17, 2020|MIT Technology Review
TikTok has assured creators and users that it’s not going anywhere—it pressed ahead and announced the first round of recipients for its creator fund this week—and Microsoft is in talks to buy the app’s US business.TikTok made him famous. Now he’s imagining a world without it|Abby Ohlheiser|August 14, 2020|MIT Technology Review
The talks have focused on spaces held by JC Penney, which filed for bankruptcy in May, and Sears, which has struggled since its 2018 bankruptcy filing.Amazon wants to turn your local Sears into a warehouse|Marc Bain|August 10, 2020|Quartz
For many years afterward it was a never-ending topic of conversation, and is more or less talked of even to this day.New York’s Most Tragic Ghost Loves Minimalist Swedish Fashion|Nina Strochlic|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
“We talked about the science the whole time the other day,” Krauss told The Daily Beast in a phone interview.Sleazy Billionaire’s Double Life Featured Beach Parties With Stephen Hawking|M.L. Nestel|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
I meant no harm by it, but I remembered how this person talked, and I did it for my Mom and she was not into it.Coffee Talk with Fred Armisen: On ‘Portlandia,’ Meeting Obama, and Taylor Swift’s Greatness|Marlow Stern|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
In being himself, he was also representing a community of people that talked how he talked and saw what he saw.
He talked about his love for his daughters, Taelor and Sydni, who were still very young at the time.
As Felipe talked with him, he perceived even more clearly how bitter and unjust his mother had been to Alessandro.Ramona|Helen Hunt Jackson
After dinner they met again outside the hotel, and drank coffee and talked the evening away.The Joyous Adventures of Aristide Pujol|William J. Locke
The eyebrows were low and thick, the upper lip was sensitive, quivering sometimes as she talked, but the lower was firm and full.Ancestors|Gertrude Atherton
And Tony leaned over as he talked, bringing their lips within whispering distance.The Wave|Algernon Blackwood
Then summoning a smart young jemadar with whom he had talked a good deal during the journey, he asked him to read the chit.The Red Year|Louis Tracy
British Dictionary definitions for talk
Derived forms of talktalkable, adjectivetalkability, nountalker, noun
Word Origin for talk
Idioms and Phrases with talk
In addition to the idioms beginning with talk
- talk around
- talk at
- talk back
- talk big
- talk dirty
- talk down
- talk down to
- talked out
- talk into
- talk of the town, the
- talk out
- talk out of
- talk over
- talk sense
- talk shop
- talk someone's arm off
- talk through one's hat
- talk to
- talk turkey
- talk up
- all talk
- dirty joke (talk dirty)
- double talk
- heart to heart (talk)
- look who's talking
- money talks
- now you're talking
- small talk
- straight talk
- sweet talk