- to talk to in a manner that indicates that a response is not expected or wanted.
- to direct remarks meant for one person to another person present; speak indirectly to.
- to overwhelm by force of argument or by loud and persistent talking; subdue by talking.
- to speak disparagingly of; belittle.
- Also talk in. to give instructions to by radio for a ground-controlled landing, especially to a pilot who is unable to make a conventional landing because of snow, fog, etc.
- to talk until conversation is exhausted.
- to attempt to reach a settlement or understanding by discussion: We arrived at a compromise by talking out the problem.
- British Politics. to thwart the passage of (a bill, motion, etc.) by prolonging discussion until the session of Parliament adjourns.Compare filibuster (def. 5).
- to weigh in conversation; consider; discuss.
- to cause (someone) to change an opinion; convince by talking: He became an expert at talking people over to his views.
- to promote interest in; discuss enthusiastically.
- to speak without hesitation; speak distinctly and openly: If you don't talk up now, you may not get another chance.
Idioms about talk
- to impede or prevent the passage of (a bill) through filibustering.
- to talk to incessantly or at great length.
Origin of talk
synonym study for talk
OTHER WORDS FROM talk
How to use talk in a sentence
A senior Democratic aide tells Fortune the party hopes to continue these talks.Stimulus update: McConnell and Schumer discuss averting a shutdown and economic aid|Lance Lambert|November 20, 2020|Fortune
However, with both the NHL and NHL Players’ Association in talks, here is what is under consideration and the timetable for some of these decisions.The NHL, facing more questions than answers, is still targeting a January start|Samantha Pell|November 19, 2020|Washington Post
In Charlotte, Raydiance Swanston began stocking up on disinfecting wipes, toilet paper and hand sanitizer last month, after seeing a rise in local covid-19 cases and hearing talk of another shutdown.Shoppers are panic-buying toilet paper. This time, there should be enough to go around.|Laura Reiley, Abha Bhattarai|November 19, 2020|Washington Post
Baehny declined to comment on whether Moderna and Lonza are in talks about adding more production lines.Moderna has never distributed a product before. A Swiss company is here to help|Claire Zillman, reporter|November 19, 2020|Fortune
Which makes it worth looking back at some of the trash talk a few years ago between LaVar Ball and Hornets owner Michael Jordan.On quiet night for NBA draft lottery selections, Anthony Edwards goes No. 1 to Timberwolves|Ben Golliver, Des Bieler|November 19, 2020|Washington Post
To borrow an old right-wing talking point, these people are angry no matter what we do.
Parents are talking about it, schools are talking about it, even kids themselves are talking about it.How Skinny Is Too Skinny? Israel Bans ‘Underweight’ Models|Carrie Arnold|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Talking about death is never easy, but with food, comfort, and familiarity, a new kind of dinner party is making it easier.
But they [Castro and Chito] must have been talking business.
Like his old man, he keeps it reined in, but when talking about fishing, a true regret seeps out.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile|Robert Ward|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Poor Squinty ran and tried to hide under the straw, for he knew the boy was talking about him.Squinty the Comical Pig|Richard Barnum
I do not care very much how you censor or select the reading and talking and thinking of the schoolboy or schoolgirl.The Salvaging Of Civilisation|H. G. (Herbert George) Wells
Her female friend immediately said, "Well, I have been talking away to this dumb man."
Cecilia says they were all talking of it at Maundrell Abbey, where of course it is a peculiarly interesting topic.Ancestors|Gertrude Atherton
Sometimes Grandfather Mole would speak to Mrs. Robin, or her husband; for he could hear them talking.The Tale of Grandfather Mole|Arthur Scott Bailey
British Dictionary definitions for talk
Derived forms of talktalkable, adjectivetalkability, nountalker, noun
Word Origin for talk
Other Idioms and Phrases with talk
In addition to the idioms beginning with talk
- talk around
- talk at
- talk back
- talk big
- talk dirty
- talk down
- talk down to
- talked out
- talk into
- talk of the town, the
- talk out
- talk out of
- talk over
- talk sense
- talk shop
- talk someone's arm off
- talk through one's hat
- talk to
- talk turkey
- talk up
- all talk
- dirty joke (talk dirty)
- double talk
- heart to heart (talk)
- look who's talking
- money talks
- now you're talking
- small talk
- straight talk
- sweet talk