- Anatomy. a muscle that stretches or tightens some part of the body.
- Mathematics. a mathematical entity with components that change in a particular way in a transformation from one coordinate system to another.
Origin of tensor
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tensor
But for practical effect, you'd be better off trying to explain the fundamentals of tensor calculus.
At least they won't get angry and accuse you of heartlessly trying to kill them in order to save a few dollars on tensor fields.
"I'm not so sure about that endocrine shift, sir," Tensor stated emotionlessly.
His image smiled into Tensor's mind and then hesitated as he saw the concern there.
Tensor said, puzzled that she knew that he might be concerned over her absence.
Quickly Tensor moved up parallel to it, while he speculated on what it meant.
Tensor could only assume that his point of view was becoming less abstract.
- anatomy any muscle that can cause a part to become firm or tense
- maths a set of components, functions of the coordinates of any point in space, that transform linearly between coordinate systems. For three-dimensional space there are 3 r components, where r is the rank. A tensor of zero rank is a scalar, of rank one, a vector
C18: from New Latin, literally: a stretcher
Word Origin and History for tensor
muscle that stretches a part, 1704, Modern Latin agent noun of Latin tendere "to stretch" (see tenet).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A muscle that stretches or tightens a body part.
- A structure of quantities arranged by zero or more indices, such as a scalar (zero indices), a vector (one index), or a matrix (two indices), which is invariant under transformations of coordinates.
- Any of various muscles that stretch or tighten a body part, as the muscle that acts to tense the soft palate, called the tensor palati.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.