- the science or study of monstrosities or abnormal formations in organisms.
Origin of teratology
Examples from the Web for teratology
Historical Examples of teratology
Discredit has been cast on teratology because it has been incautiously used.
Be this as it may, teratology owes a very large number of its records to this class of observers.
This mode of union belongs, perhaps, rather to the domain of pathology than of teratology.
In any case this formation in question generally belongs more to general morphology than to teratology.
The discussion of this matter, however, pertains rather to normal morphology than to teratology.
- the branch of medical science concerned with the development of physical abnormalities during the fetal or early embryonic stage
- the branch of biology that is concerned with the structure, development, etc, of monsters
- a collection of tales about mythical or fantastic creatures, monsters, etc
"study of marvels and monsters," 1670s, from comb. form of Greek teras (genitive teratos) "marvel, monster" + -logy.
- The biological study of malformations and monstrosities.
- The scientific study of birth defects.