- the velocity at which a falling body moves through a medium, as air, when the force of resistance of the medium is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity.
- the maximum velocity of a body falling through a viscous fluid.
- Rocketry, Ballistics.
- the greatest speed that a rocket, missile, etc., attains after burnout or after leaving the barrel of a gun.
- the speed of a missile or projectile on impact with its target.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for terminal velocityflash
Examples from the Web for terminal velocity
Historical Examples of terminal velocity
I went out to do the terminal-velocity dive with the nine-g pull-out.Test Pilot
David Goodger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- the constant maximum velocity reached by a body falling under gravity through a fluid, esp the atmosphere
- the velocity of a missile or projectile when it reaches its target
- the maximum velocity attained by a rocket, missile, or shell flying in a parabolic flight path
- the maximum velocity that an aircraft can attain, as determined by its total drag
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012