- most recent; current: latest fashions.
- the latest, the most recent news, development, disclosure, etc.: This is the latest in personal computers.
- at the latest, not any later than (a specified time): Be at the airport by 7 o'clock at the latest.
Origin of latest
- the superlative of late
- most recent, modern, or newthe latest fashions
- at the latest no later than the time specified
- the latest informal the most recent fashion or development
Word Origin and History for the latest
superlative of late. The latest "the news" attested from 1886.
Idioms and Phrases with the latest
Also, the latest thing. The most recent development, as in fashion or the news. For example, Wearing straw hats to the beach is the latest thing, or Have you heard the latest about the royal family? [Colloquial; late 1800s] Also see the thing.