- an ancient city in Upper Egypt, on the Nile, whose ruins are located in the modern towns of Karnak and Luxor: a former capital of Egypt.
- a city of ancient Greece, in Boeotia: a rival of ancient Athens.
- an aluminum coin and monetary unit of Botswana, the 100th part of a pula.
- a district in ancient Greece, NW of Athens. Capital: Thebes.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for thebes
Who drove us into the arms of Athens, when we were hard pressed by the tyranny of Thebes?Stories from Thucydides
H. L. Havell
In Thebes, in Palmyra, his will and mind have become old and dilapidated as they.Essays, First Series
Ralph Waldo Emerson
On reaching Thebes the troops encamped outside the city, round the gymnasium.
They were to be the most majestic and the most beautiful to be found in Thebes.
After that he turned to retire, keeping the walls of Thebes on his left.
- (in ancient Greece) the chief city of Boeotia, destroyed by Alexander the Great (336 bc)
- (in ancient Egypt) a city on the Nile: at various times capital of Upper Egypt or of the entire country
- a region of ancient Greece, northwest of Athens. It consisted of ten city-states, which formed the Boeotian League, led by Thebes: at its height in the 4th century bcModern Greek name: Voiotia
- astronomy an inner satellite of Jupiter discovered in 1979
C20: named after Thebe, mythical queen of Thebes