verb (used without object), thought, think·ing.
verb (used with object), thought, think·ing.
- to conceive of; imagine.
- to have an opinion or judgment of.
- to consider; anticipate: When one thinks of what the future may bring, one is both worried and hopeful.
- to think about until a conclusion is reached; understand or solve by thinking.
- to devise by thinking; contrive: He thought out a plan for saving time.
Origin of think1
Definition for think better of (2 of 2)
adjective, compar. of good with best as superl.
adverb, compar. of well with best as superl.
verb (used with object)
Origin of better1
Related formsun·bet·tered, adjective
Can be confusedbetter bettor
British Dictionary definitions for think better of (1 of 3)
- to change one's course of action after reconsideration
- to rate (a person) more highly
Word Origin for better
British Dictionary definitions for think better of (2 of 3)
esp US bettor
British Dictionary definitions for think better of (3 of 3)
verb thinks, thinking or thought
- to expect; supposeI didn't think to see you here
- to be considerate or aware enough (to do something)he did not think to thank them
- to change one's mind about (a course of action, decision, etc)
- to have a more favourable opinion of (a person)
- to regard as routine, easy, or natural
- to have no compunction or hesitation about
- to have a very low opinion of
Derived Formsthinker, noun
Word Origin for think
Medicine definitions for think better of
Idioms and Phrases with think better of (1 of 3)
think better of
Reconsider, change one's mind about, as in I hope you'll think better of it before you quit your job. [c. 1600]
Idioms and Phrases with think better of (2 of 3)
In addition to the idioms beginning with better
- better half
- better late than never
- better off
- better part of
- better safe than sorry
- better than
- against one's better judgment
- all better
- all the better
- discretion is the better part of valor
- for better or for worse
- get better
- get the better (best) of
- go one better
- had better (best)
- know better
- seen better days
- so much the better
- sooner the better
- take a turn for the better
- think better of
- you'd better believe it
Also see underbest.
Idioms and Phrases with think better of (3 of 3)
In addition to the idioms beginning with think
- think a lot of
- think aloud
- think back
- think better of
- think big
- thinking cap
- think little of
- think nothing of
- think on one's feet
- think out
- think over
- think piece
- think positive
- think tank
- think the world of
- think through
- think twice
- think up
- come to think of it
- have another guess (think) coming
- hear oneself think
- not think much of
- put on one's thinking cap
- wishful thinking
Also see underthought.