- the third part of the personal property of a deceased husband, which in certain circumstances goes absolutely to the widow.
- a widow's dower.
- a tone on the third degree from a given tone (counted as the first).
- the interval between such tones.
- the harmonic combination of such tones.
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Origin of third
OTHER WORDS FROM thirdthirdly, adverb
Example sentences from the Web for third
And, thirdly, even if you are moving pieces of wreckage, there are eyes in the sky watching it all from satellites.MH17 Is the World’s First Open-Source Air Crash Investigation|Clive Irving|July 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Thirdly, economic agreements must be forged between regional states, particularly Rwanda and Congo.
Thirdly, Obama should be frank about the “credibility” issue.
Thirdly, all the spoons are attached to a single ring, which can be hung from a hook, making them easier to find.
And thirdly, Chaz Ebert endured the debilitating role as his constant caregiver because she listened to her doctor.
Thirdly, by words we have it in our power to make such combinations as we cannot possibly do otherwise.
Thirdly, I was convinced that there would be a war between us and Germany.Men, Women and Guns|H. C. (Herman Cyril) McNeile
Or, thirdly, straight in the upper part, and concave in the under.A Treatise on Painting|Leonardo Da Vinci
Thirdly, the external lines of junction between the transverse terminal loops being smooth or not serrated.A Monograph on the Sub-class Cirripedia (Volume 2 of 2)|Charles Darwin
In every syllogism is first a fundamental proposition; secondly, another deduced from it; and, thirdly, the consequence.
British Dictionary definitions for third
adjective (usually prenominal)
- coming after the second and preceding the fourth in numbering or counting order, position, time, etc; being the ordinal number of three: often written 3rd
- (as noun)he arrives on the third; the third got a prize
- one of three equal or nearly equal parts of an object, quantity, etc
- (as modifier)a third part