- any of several felines, as the ocelot or margay, that resemble the tiger in coloration or ferocity but are smaller.
- a spotted marsupial cat, Dasyurus (Dasyurops) maculatus.
- a domestic cat having a striped coat resembling that of a tiger.
Origin of tiger cat
Examples from the Web for tiger cat
Historical Examples of tiger cat
Then the tiger-cat leaped over the dead form at Miriam and me.Lords of the North
A. C. Laut
The sheepman swept him with one of his side-long, tiger-cat glances.Crooked Trails and Straight
William MacLeod Raine
Before we could get our guns ready, both partridges and tiger-cat had disappeared.In New Granada
Their physiognomy reminds one of an Owl or Tiger-cat (Bates).A Hand-book to the Primates, Volume 1 (of 2)
Henry O. Forbes
There was no way of escape for him, however, and he sprang like a tiger-cat at the ensign.The Disputed V.C.
Frederick P. Gibbon
- a medium-sized feline mammal, Felis tigrina, of Central and South America, having a dark-striped coat
- any similar feline with tiger-like markings, such as the margay