- to use or occupy by time-sharing.
- Computers. a system or service in which a number of users at different terminals simultaneously use a single computer for different purposes.
- Also time-share. a plan in which persons share ownership or rental costs of a vacation home, especially a condominium, entitling each participant to use the residence for a specified time each year.
Origin of time-sharing
First recorded in 1960–65
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a system of part ownership of a property, such as a flat or villa, for use as a holiday home, whereby each participant buys the right to use the property for the same fixed period annually
- (as modifier)a time-sharing system
- a system by which users at different terminals of a computer can, because of its high speed, apparently communicate with it at the same timeCompare batch processing
- (as modifier)a time-sharing computer
- denoting, relating to, or forming part of time sharing of propertytime-share villas
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper