- an instrument for measuring the frequencies of tones, as a tuning fork or a graduated set of tuning forks.
- any of various physiological instruments for measuring intraocular pressure or blood pressure.
- Physical Chemistry. an instrument for measuring vapor pressure.
Origin of tonometer
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tonometer
The (Schiotz) tonometer was used daily for 70 consecutive days and never registered more than 12-14 mm.Glaucoma
- an instrument for measuring the pitch of a sound, esp one consisting of a set of tuning forks
- any of various types of instrument for measuring pressure or tension, such as the blood pressure, vapour pressure, etc
C18: from Greek tonos tone + -meter
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Any of various instruments for measuring pressure or tension, especially one used in tonography.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.