QUIZ YOURSELF ON “ITS” VS. “IT’S”!
Origin of tontine
Words nearby tontine
Example sentences from the Web for tontine
The last of the celebrated coffee houses of New York bore the name, Tontine coffee house.
Today the site is occupied by a large modern office building, which still retains the name of Tontine.
The changing of the Tontine coffee house into a purely mercantile building marked the end of the coffee-house era in New York.
Tontine insurance is profitable to the few in just the proportion that misfortune shall overtake those who participate in it.
Still, some companies are making Tontine and Semi-Tontine insurance their specialty.
British Dictionary definitions for tontine
- an annuity scheme by which several subscribers accumulate and invest a common fund out of which they receive an annuity that increases as subscribers die until the last survivor takes the whole
- the subscribers to such a scheme collectively
- the share of each subscriber
- the common fund accumulated
- (as modifier)a tontine fund