- a city in and the capital of Ontario, in SE Canada, on Lake Ontario.
- a province in S Canada, bordering on the Great Lakes. 412,582 sq. mi. (1,068,585 sq. km). Capital: Toronto.
- Lake, a lake between the NE United States and S Canada, between New York and Ontario province: the smallest of the Great Lakes. 193 miles (310 km) long; 7540 sq. mi. (19,530 sq. km).
- a city in SW California, E of Los Angeles.
Examples from the Web for toronto
A friendly twenty-something woman originally from Toronto said it best.The Craziest Date Night for Single Jews, Where Mistletoe Is Ditched for Shots
December 26, 2014
One night in 2004, my college boyfriend called me from inside a closet in a north Toronto housing project.Bobby Shmurda and Rap’s Ultimate Hoop Dream
December 23, 2014
“We opened the Toronto Film Festival with The Fifth Estate, and there was an immediate rejection of it,” he says.Can Condon's Freak Show Win Broadway?
November 18, 2014
We agreed on the Sheppard Centre shopping mall in north Toronto because it was convenient.Canada’s Subversive Sock Puppet: Ed the Sock Isn’t Afraid to Say Anything
November 13, 2014
The Toronto Star reported that three different women (all unnamed) alleged all manner of harassment and intimidation.Jian Ghomeshi’s Very Canadian Sex Scandal
October 29, 2014
A noted lawyer in Toronto had been written to, and had offered to defend him.The Hunted Outlaw
And he isn't; he comes from Toronto, and that's only a few miles from the United States.
"I wish Toronto was further from home than it is," she declared.
Some hours were spent at Toronto, in discovering that they had taken the rail to Montreal.Shoulder-Straps
It is from him that Jarvis Street, Toronto, derives its name.The Story of the Upper Canada Rebellion, Volume 1
John Charles Dent
- a city in S central Canada, capital of Ontario, on Lake Ontario: the major industrial centre of Canada; two universities. Pop: 2 481 494 (2001)
- a province of central Canada: lies mostly on the Canadian Shield and contains the fertile plain of the lower Great Lakes and the St Lawrence River, one of the world's leading industrial areas; the second largest and the most populous province. Capital: Toronto. Pop: 12 392 721 (2004 est). Area: 891 198 sq km (344 092 sq miles)Abbreviation: Ont., ON
- Lake Ontario a lake between the US and Canada, bordering on New York State and Ontario province: the smallest of the Great Lakes; linked with Lake Erie by the Niagara River and Welland Canal; drained by the St Lawrence. Area: 19 684 sq km (7600 sq miles)
Word Origin and History for toronto
city in Ontario, Canada, founded 1793 as York, renamed 1834 for a native village that appears on a 1656 map as Tarantou. from an Iroquoian source, original form and sense unknown; perhaps taron-to-hen "wood in the water," or Huron deondo "meeting place."
from Mohawk (Iroquoian) ontari:io "beautiful lake" or "great lake," from /-qtar-/ "lake, river." Related: Ontarian.