- in the direction of: to walk toward the river.
- with a view to obtaining or having; for: They're saving money toward a new house.
- in the area or vicinity of; near: Our cabin is toward the top of the hill.
- turned to; facing: Her back was toward me.
- shortly before; close to: toward midnight.
- as a help or contribution to: to give money toward a person's expenses.
- with respect to; as regards: his attitude toward women.
- about to come soon; imminent.
- going on; in progress; afoot: There is work toward.
- propitious; favorable.
- promising or apt, as a student.
- compliant; docile.
Origin of toward
Related Words for towardsagainst, almost, approaching, facing, for, moving, nearing, nearly, proceeding, to, via, contra, fronting, about, apropos, regarding, anent, re
Examples from the Web for towards
Contemporary Examples of towards
I began walking right, towards my dorm, when I realized I needed to go to the hospital.I Was Gang Raped at a UVA Frat 30 Years Ago, and No One Did Anything
December 16, 2014
“The journey of the show is towards a sense of self: the who you are in public and the who you are inside,” he says.Can Condon's Freak Show Win Broadway?
November 18, 2014
And every GOP win helps King achieve his goal: “to move the political center towards the right and towards the Constitution.”Steve King: GOP Congress Should Keep Repealing Obamacare
October 29, 2014
Towards the end of the interview, Ponomarev returned to the topic of Vanden Heuvel and her magazine.The Bolshevik Who Thinks ‘The Nation’ Is Too Left Wing
October 26, 2014
The Centennial West line, which would be about the same size, would sweep west from Oklahoma towards California.Electricity Superhighway
October 16, 2014
Historical Examples of towards
A salt lake was visible a few miles to the east, towards which we proceeded.Explorations in Australia
With his inferior he will not be intimate, nor towards him will he be "proudly condescending."
They turned in towards the river, and we rode down to meet them.The Exploring Expedition to the Rocky Mountains, Oregon and California
Brevet Col. J.C. Fremont
The next morning was Sunday; and I walked out, towards the church.Sunday under Three Heads
Towards the image of their friend who broke the laws of God.
- in the direction or vicinity oftowards London
- with regard toher feelings towards me
- as a contribution or help tomoney towards a new car
- just beforetowards one o'clock
- Irish in comparison withit's no work towards having to do it by hand
- rare in progress; afoot
- obsolete about to happen; imminent
- obsolete promising or favourable
- a variant of towards
Word Origin for toward
Word Origin and History for towards
Idioms and Phrases with towards
see go a long way toward.