- situated beyond the Alps, especially toward the north as viewed from Italy.
- passing or extending across or through the Alps: a transalpine railway.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of peoples or lands beyond the Alps.
- a native or inhabitant of a country beyond the Alps.
Origin of transalpine
Examples from the Web for transalpine
Historical Examples of transalpine
The transalpine pope held in check by the pontiff of Geneva!Catherine de' Medici
Honore de Balzac
Let not the love of your Transalpine dominions detain you longer.
It is certain that the Transalpine Gauls were a conspicuously taller race.The Posthumous Works of Thomas De Quincey, Vol. 1 (2 vols)
Thomas De Quincey
Position of the Italians.The Italians had long looked upon the transalpine nations with contempt.History of the Intellectual Development of Europe, Volume II (of 2)
John William Draper
In Transalpine Gaul she had as yet no possessions; Massalia was still an independent and specially cherished ally.The Chief Periods of European History
Edward A. Freeman
- situated in or relating to places beyond the Alps, esp from Italy
- passing over the Alps
- a transalpine person