- a passing from one key to another; modulation.
- a brief modulation; a modulation used in passing.
- a sudden, unprepared modulation.
verb (used without object)
DON’T VACILLATE! VANQUISH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of transition
OTHER WORDS FROM transitiontran·si·tion·al, tran·si·tion·a·ry [tran-zish-uh-ner-ee, -sish-], /trænˈzɪʃ əˌnɛr i, -ˈsɪʃ-/, adjective
Words nearby transition
Example sentences from the Web for transition
A second document was titled: “Gambia Reborn: A Charter for Transition from Dictatorship to Democracy and Development.”The Shadowy U.S. Veteran Who Tried to Overthrow a Country|Jacob Siegel|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Exactly when the transition to modern domestic creature took place, for a bird that is wild to this day, is controversial.The History of the Chicken: How This Humble Bird Saved Humanity|William O’Connor|December 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
How did you make the transition from pro surfer to modeling?Anastasia Ashley, Surfer-Cum-Model, Rides The Viral Internet Wave|James Joiner|December 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
He held intrigue for journalists converging for the transition of papal power.
Will the transition of power from one Kim to another become drenched in even more blood?
The traveller who descends into Italy by an Alpine pass never forgets the surprise and delight of the transition.Our Italy|Charles Dudley Warner
Yet it may well be that in his defection we have to see a stage in the transition from Welf to Guelf.Dante: His Times and His Work|Arthur John Butler
The hotel was a sort of transition point between the civilization we had left and the primitive society we were to enter.The Blue-Grass Region of Kentucky|James Lane Allen
Appearances are met with indicating a transition between cells with few fat-granules and those with many.
This temperature must therefore be below the transition point of this salt-pair (p. 314).The Phase Rule and Its Applications|Alexander Findlay
British Dictionary definitions for transition
- a movement from one key to another; modulation
- a linking passage between two divisions in a composition; bridge
- any change that results in a change of physical properties of a substance or system, such as a change of phase or molecular structure
- a change in the configuration of an atomic nucleus, involving either a change in energy level resulting from the emission of a gamma-ray photon or a transformation to another element or isotope