- a passing from one key to another; modulation.
- a brief modulation; a modulation used in passing.
- a sudden, unprepared modulation.
verb (used without object)
CAN YOU FEEL THE WEAL WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ?
Origin of transition
OTHER WORDS FROM transition
Words nearby transition
Example sentences from the Web for transitional
Was that a transitional moment for you from music to comedy?Coffee Talk with Fred Armisen: On ‘Portlandia,’ Meeting Obama, and Taylor Swift’s Greatness|Marlow Stern|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Failing to forge lasting stability would leave us, this author and his like-minded aides, to call for a Transitional Council.
A transitional government was elected and a national dialogue took place to address key grievances.
Industry will then, under the proposed rules, have a two-year transitional period over which to comply with the new requirements.Guess Who Doesn’t Want You to Know How Much Added Sugar Is in Your Food|Tim Mak|July 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
During the transitional phase, board members Allan Mayer and David Danziger will reign as co-chairmen of the board.His Reputation Precedes Him: Dov Charney’s Blacklist|Justin Jones|June 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The unusually fine chancel arch is Transitional; the chancel itself is probably early fourteenth–century work.Warwickshire|Clive Holland
The south doorway is Transitional Norman, and is supposed to have been added about 1180.The Evolution Of An English Town|Gordon Home
Cases of splenectomy of this kind are transitional to the chronic diseases of the spleen.Histology of the Blood|Paul Ehrlich
We were brought face to face with that transitional phase of society and pacific revolution, of happiest augury for the future.In the Heart of Vosges|Matilda Betham-Edwards
We find, moreover, that not all Transitional structures had "cells."Virginia Architecture in the Seventeenth Century|Henry Chandlee Forman
British Dictionary definitions for transitional
- a movement from one key to another; modulation
- a linking passage between two divisions in a composition; bridge
- any change that results in a change of physical properties of a substance or system, such as a change of phase or molecular structure
- a change in the configuration of an atomic nucleus, involving either a change in energy level resulting from the emission of a gamma-ray photon or a transformation to another element or isotope