- a passing from one key to another; modulation.
- a brief modulation; a modulation used in passing.
- a sudden, unprepared modulation.
verb (used without object)
Origin of transition
Examples from the Web for transitional
Was that a transitional moment for you from music to comedy?Coffee Talk with Fred Armisen: On ‘Portlandia,’ Meeting Obama, and Taylor Swift’s Greatness|Marlow Stern|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Failing to forge lasting stability would leave us, this author and his like-minded aides, to call for a Transitional Council.
A transitional government was elected and a national dialogue took place to address key grievances.
Industry will then, under the proposed rules, have a two-year transitional period over which to comply with the new requirements.Guess Who Doesn’t Want You to Know How Much Added Sugar Is in Your Food|Tim Mak|July 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
During the transitional phase, board members Allan Mayer and David Danziger will reign as co-chairmen of the board.His Reputation Precedes Him: Dov Charney’s Blacklist|Justin Jones|June 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The unusually fine chancel arch is Transitional; the chancel itself is probably early fourteenth–century work.Warwickshire|Clive Holland
The south doorway is Transitional Norman, and is supposed to have been added about 1180.The Evolution Of An English Town|Gordon Home
Cases of splenectomy of this kind are transitional to the chronic diseases of the spleen.Histology of the Blood|Paul Ehrlich
We were brought face to face with that transitional phase of society and pacific revolution, of happiest augury for the future.In the Heart of Vosges|Matilda Betham-Edwards
We find, moreover, that not all Transitional structures had "cells."Virginia Architecture in the Seventeenth Century|Henry Chandlee Forman
British Dictionary definitions for transitional
- a movement from one key to another; modulation
- a linking passage between two divisions in a composition; bridge
- any change that results in a change of physical properties of a substance or system, such as a change of phase or molecular structure
- a change in the configuration of an atomic nucleus, involving either a change in energy level resulting from the emission of a gamma-ray photon or a transformation to another element or isotope