[trans-sek-shoo-uh l or, esp. British, -seks-yoo-]
- a person having a strong desire to assume the physical characteristics and gender role of the opposite sex.
- a person who has undergone hormone treatment and surgery to attain the physical characteristics of the opposite sex.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of transsexuals.
Origin of transsexual
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for transsexual
And the media, meanwhile, has referred to her as every label under the sun, from “a man” to “transsexual.”Exclusive: Michael Phelps’s Intersex Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend, Taylor Lianne Chandler, Tells All
November 26, 2014
With a little luck, you could become the first transsexual martyr!Mel Brooks Is Always Funny and Often Wise in This 1975 Playboy Interview
February 16, 2014
The term “transsexual” tends to be used less often by younger generations of trans persons.What Each of Facebook’s 51 New Gender Options Means
Debby Herbenick PhD, Aleta Baldwin
February 15, 2014
If a transsexual man as bearded, muscled, and tattooed as I am went into the ladies room, the women would all scream!Show Me Your Papers Before You Pee? It Could Happen in Arizona
March 20, 2013
The New York Times called 2010 the "year of the transsexual."Andrej Pejic: The Model Barnes & Noble Didn't Want You to See
May 20, 2011
- a person who permanently acts the part of and completely identifies with the opposite sex
- a person who has undergone medical and surgical procedures to alter external sexual characteristics to those of the opposite sex
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for transsexual
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A person who strongly identifies with the opposite gender and who chooses to live as a member of the opposite gender or to become one by surgery.
- Of or relating to such a person.
- Relating to medical and surgical procedures designed to alter a person's external sexual characteristics so they resemble those of the opposite gender.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.