- Zoology. the occurrence of three forms distinct in structure, coloration, etc., among animals of the same species.
- Botany. the occurrence of three different forms of flowers, leaves, etc., on the same plant or on distinct plants of the same species.
- Crystallography. the property of some substances of crystallizing in three structurally distinct forms.
- the property or condition of occurring in three distinct forms.
Origin of trimorphism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for trimorphism
There are, also, cases of dimorphism and trimorphism, both with animals and plants.On the Origin of Species
- biology the property exhibited by certain species of having or occurring in three different forms
- the property of certain minerals of existing in three crystalline forms
C19: from Greek trimorphos (from tri- + morphē form) + -ism
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012