- the use of figurative language in speech or writing.
- a treatise on figures of speech or tropes.
- the use of a Scriptural text so as to give it a moral interpretation or significance apart from its direct meaning.
Origin of tropology
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tropology
Above and beyond all is that divine something to which divine Scripture leads, either in allegory or tropology.The Mediaeval Mind (Volume II of II)
Henry Osborn Taylor
- rhetoric the use of figurative language in speech or writing
- Christian theol the educing of moral or figurative meanings from the Scriptures
- a treatise on tropes or figures of speech
C16: via Late Latin from Greek tropalogia; see trope, -logy
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012