- a weak chirping sound, as of a young or small bird.
- Digital Technology. a message posted on the Twitter social media service and website: the message may include text, links, photos, or videos.
- to make a weak chirping sound.
- Digital Technology. to post a message on Twitter: She tweets a lot about movies.
- Digital Technology. to post (a message) on Twitter for (people) to read: He tweeted his fans after the event.
Origin of tweet
Examples from the Web for tweeting
Michelle Obama tweeting a hashtag is somehow cause for outrage.Political Memes That Absolutely Must Die in 2015
January 1, 2015
Paul, meanwhile, has taken to cyberbullying Rubio, tweeting on Friday that he is “acting like an isolationist.”The Rand-Rubio Catfight Over Cuba
December 19, 2014
Tweeting and Instagramming about their participation, making themselves the story like they want to be congratulated.The Unbearable Whiteness of Protesting
Rawiya Kameir, Judnick Mayard
December 10, 2014
Statistician Nate Silver, who is white, was widely ridiculed for tweeting about his experience of being briefly locked up.Are College Educated Police Safer?
December 1, 2014
Concerned citizens took to social media, tweeting photos of animals drenched in oil.Deepwater Horizon: Life Drowning in Oil
November 2, 2014
- (often reiterated) an imitation or representation of the thin chirping sound made by small or young birds
- (intr) to make this sound
- a thin chirping sound
- a short message posted on the Twitter website
Word Origin and History for tweeting
1845, imitative of the sound made by a small bird. As a verb by 1872. Related: Tweeted; tweeting. As the word for what one does on the Twitter microblogging service, by 2007.