- a rectangular piece or block, now usually of metal, having on its upper surface a letter or character in relief.
- such pieces or blocks collectively.
- a similar piece in a typewriter or the like.
- such pieces collectively.
- a printed character or printed characters: a headline in large type.
- face(defs 19b, c).
- a genus or species that most nearly exemplifies the essential characteristics of a higher group.
- the one or more specimens on which the description and naming of a species is based.
- the inherited features of an animal or breed that are favorable for any given purpose: dairy type.
- a strain, breed, or variety of animal, or a single animal, belonging to a specific kind.
verb (used with object), typed, typ·ing.
verb (used without object), typed, typ·ing.
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of type
usage note for type
OTHER WORDS FROM type
Words nearby type
Example sentences from the Web for typing
The sort of reader who believes that typing Do you have a citation for that?
Over to the side of the rest area, Hoge had his computer open and was typing away.
And, typing that, it occurs to me how rarely we hear modern Americans use the word happy without an odor of irony.What Did TJ Mean By “Pursuit of Happiness,” Anyway?|P. J. O’Rourke|June 8, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Discoverable by clicking around or typing commands, these hidden features included entire new cartoons, or even simple gimmicks.Homestar Runner, Trogdor the Burninator, and the Birth of the Internet|Rich Goldstein|April 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
When typing in “Pennsylvania voter ID scandal,” a grand total of one story appeared.
Burton came into the room at that moment—and while he was there she slipped off to her typing without answering me.Man and Maid|Elinor Glyn
As Joe Mario closed the warden's door behind him, two inmates slowed their typing but did not look up as he neared their desks.Criminal Negligence|Jesse Francis McComas
In typing the notes the number should be typed on the line and followed by a period.The Wright Brothers' Engines and Their Design|Leonard S. Hobbs.
I just says to him, 'Since you're so mighty particular, Mr. Harrison, I don't see why you don't do your own typing!'The Rosie World|Parker Fillmore
As Prescott says, typing is as traceable as penmanship, and that note was written on the machine in the writing room at the Club.The Luminous Face|Carolyn Wells
British Dictionary definitions for typing (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for typing (2 of 2)
- a small block of metal or more rarely wood bearing a letter or character in relief for use in printing
- such pieces collectively
- the taxonomic group the characteristics of which are used for defining the next highest group, for example Rattus norvegicus (brown rat) is the type species of the rat genus Rattus
- (as modifier)a type genus; a type species