- Physical Chemistry. a filter for purifying sols, having a membrane with pores sufficiently small to prevent the passage of the suspended particles.
- Mathematics. a filter in a topological space, having the property that no other filter exists in the space having among its subsets all the subsets in the given filter.
- Physical Chemistry. to purify by means of an ultrafilter.
Origin of ultrafilter
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- engineering filtration that removes particles less than 10 microns (10 –6 m) in diameter
- a filter with small pores used to separate very small particles from a suspension or colloidal solution
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012