- beyond the mountains.
- of or relating to the area south of the Alps, especially Italy.
- Roman Catholic Church.
- of, relating to, or advocating ultramontanism.
- of, relating to, or supporting the belief that the pope is the spiritual head of the Church in all countries.
- (formerly) north of the Alps; tramontane.
- a person who lives beyond the mountains.
- a person living south of the Alps.
- Roman Catholic Church. a person who supports ultramontanism.
- (formerly) a person living to the north of the Alps.
Origin of ultramontane
Examples from the Web for ultramontane
Historical Examples of ultramontane
Compare "antiseptic," "antinomian," "ultramontane," "semicircle.""Stops"
But you are a minstrel, perhaps, from these ultramontane parts.Anne of Geierstein
It is not an ultramontane tract to defend the Church againstxlv the sceptic.Three Plays by Brieux
First, I do not like the ultramontane spirit of the Siegwart family.
And you approved of this narrow-mindedness of the ultramontane?
- a resident or native from beyond the mountains, esp the Alps
- a member of the ultramontane party of the Roman Catholic Church
1590s, from Middle French ultramontain "beyond the mountains" (especially the Alps), from Old French (early 14c.), from Latin ultra "beyond" (see ultra-) + stem of mons (see mount (n.)). Used especially of papal authority, though "connotation varies according to the position of the speaker or writer." [Weekley]