- suitable or ready for use; of use or service; at hand: I used whatever tools were available.
- readily obtainable; accessible: available resources.
- having sufficient power or efficacy; valid.
- Archaic. efficacious; profitable; advantageous.
Origin of available
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsdeficiency, drought, lack, omission, dearth, privation, void, inadequacy, insufficiency, want, need, unavailability
Examples from the Web for unavailability
Liu interjected that the unavailability of private money was backed up by a Congressional Budget Office report.GOPer Says Romney Wrong on Bailout
October 29, 2012
Illinois State forests will always be smaller than those of other states because of the unavailability of low valued land.Forest Trees of Illinois
Fuller George D.
- obtainable or accessible; capable of being made use of; at hand
- US politics derogatory suitable for public office, usually as a result of having an inoffensive characterSmith was a particularly available candidate
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unavailability
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper