- the state of being deficient; lack; incompleteness; insufficiency.
- the amount lacked; a deficit.
Origin of deficiency
Synonyms for deficiencySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for deficiencyflaw, failing, failure, weakness, lack, defect, dearth, glitch, insufficiency, shortcoming, scarcity, shortage, frailty, fault, loss, privation, default, demerit, bug, paucity
Examples from the Web for deficiency
Contemporary Examples of deficiency
Historical Examples of deficiency
It is the deficiency, and not the excess of this quality, that is to be feared.Tales And Novels, Volume 4 (of 10)
Wherever her heart was interested, there never seemed a deficiency of mind.
"We must do our best to supply the deficiency," said Morton, as he entered.
Besides, it supplies a deficiency which would have occurred had it been left out.
The deficiency is something over two hundred million florins.Jennie Baxter, Journalist
- the state or quality of being deficient
- a lack or insufficiency; shortage
- another word for deficit
- biology the absence of a gene or a region of a chromosome normally present
- A lack or shortage of something essential to health; an insufficiency.