- to soil; tarnish; discolor.
- to detract from the honor or luster of: to besmirch someone's good name.
Origin of besmirch
SynonymsSee more synonyms for besmirch on Thesaurus.com
2. stain, tarnish, soil, blacken, dishonor, discredit, sully, besmear.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to make dirty; soil
- to reduce the brightness or lustre of
- to sully (often in the phrase besmirch (a person's) name)
Word Origin and History for unbesmirched
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper