- costing much; expensive; high in price: a costly emerald bracelet; costly medical care.
- resulting in great expense: The upkeep of such a large house is costly.
- resulting in great detriment: It was a costly mistake because no one ever trusted him again.
- of great value; very valuable; sumptuous.
- lavish; extravagant.
Origin of costly
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordspoor, little, paltry, sparse, insignificant, deficient, inadequate, cheap, meager, modest, nominal, reasonable, small, moderate, low-cost, low-priced, competitive, economical, inexpensive, cut
Examples from the Web for uncostly
- of great price or value; expensive
- entailing great loss or sacrificea costly victory
- splendid; lavish
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for uncostly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper