- costing much; expensive; high in price: a costly emerald bracelet; costly medical care.
- resulting in great expense: The upkeep of such a large house is costly.
- resulting in great detriment: It was a costly mistake because no one ever trusted him again.
- of great value; very valuable; sumptuous.
- lavish; extravagant.
Origin of costly
SynonymsSee more synonyms for costly on Thesaurus.com
1. dear, high-priced. See expensive.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for uncostly
- of great price or value; expensive
- entailing great loss or sacrificea costly victory
- splendid; lavish
Word Origin and History for uncostly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper