- not accepting God or a particular religious doctrine; irreligious; atheistic: an ungodly era.
- sinful; wicked; impious; not conforming to religious tenets or canons: an ungodly life.
- outrageous; shocking; dreadful; insufferable: an ungodly roar; an ungodly hour to drop in.
Origin of ungodly
SynonymsSee more synonyms for ungodly on Thesaurus.com
2. profane, evil, corrupt, blasphemous.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ungodly
So here I am in my requisite Lululemon pants, grunting along to an old hip-hop song at a most ungodly hour.How Taryn Toomey’s ‘The Class’ Became New York’s Latest Fitness Craze
January 9, 2015
Gladwell, however, is mostly interested in the ungodly number of hours they logged on stage.The Beatles Succeeded Through Talent, Ambition, and a Lot of Arrogance
November 10, 2013
Hasan proceeded to pull the trigger with the most ungodly indifference.Nidal Hasan Deserves the Death Sentence the Fort Hood Jury Imposed
August 28, 2013
Catwoman gets knocked up and, for some ungodly reason goes to see Bellatrix LaStrange from Harry Potter and Borat.SAG Awards 2013: Anne Hathaway, Tina Fey & More Best Moments (VIDEO)
January 28, 2013
We spent an ungodly amount of time worrying about that for something that flashes by in a couple of seconds.‘The Cabin in the Woods’ Spoilers: Drew Goddard Speaks Freely
Maria Elena Fernandez
April 16, 2012
Oh, lay me bleeding, but these are a filthy and most ungodly crew!Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
And again, it will also judge the ungodly, as St. John saith in chap.Selections from the Table Talk of Martin Luther
This was not only an ungentlemanly, but also an ungodly act on Jupiters part.The Comic Latin Grammar
Puritans they were, stern and haughty in their ungodly righteousness.
Her feelings towards that ungodly gentleman were rather of pity than aught else.
- wicked; sinful
- (as collective noun; preceded by the)the ungodly
- informal unseemly; outrageous (esp in the phrase an ungodly hour)
Word Origin and History for ungodly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper